Sunday, July 18, 2010

What am I doing here?

One of the main highlights of being in Cambodia has definitely been getting to know some of the amazing people I have met here and building relationships with them. Part of the reason I chose this trip over others was because I didn't want to just continue in collegiate ministry, simply overseas. I wanted to DO something and have a "purpose" here --- and yet I am learning more of what it is to BE. Having majored in English and Education, teaching English is what particularly appealed to me about coming here. But honestly, as much as I am enjoying teaching, it is really the ministry aspects, exactly what I initially sought to avoid, that I am LOVING the most!

There are no tangible expressions of the "work" we are doing. We're not building homes, establishing medical clinics, supporting orphanages, providing clean water, or any of the other things you often go on these trips to DO. Instead we are teaching English. And even in this, there is nothing to show for it as you can't exactly chart the progress of students or materialize learning. With the young children and the basic learners, we are simply covering the alphabet and vocabulary, but with the more advanced speakers, we are practicing through conversation. And it is through conversation that I am establishing FRIENDSHIPS.

Here are some of the Khmer teachers who I have been working on advanced English with. We were all able to celebrate Anin's 22nd birthday together (something Anin has never done in her life. Birthday's have always just been another day for her and not even her parents recognize it with a "Happy Birthday") Anin and I had lunch together the other day and I know she appreciated the English practice as even in our small class, she can get left behind as those who are older and more proficient in their English can sometimes dominate conversation. I loved just getting to know her more and hear more of her story.

After celebrating, a few of us went out so that they could introduce me to Cambodian karaoke. It was hilarious and so much fun! As evidenced in the TV screen above, the lyrics were all written in Khmer script so I obviously (and fortunately) was spared from singing. But it was comical just watching the others get into it and belt out the words while I imagined my own version based on the ridiculous, overly dramatic music videos.


This is Muytiang and I at the Royal Palace. In spite of our conflicting schedules, we've been able to share a few meals together. Last week she took me out on her motodop and we were able to take part in some traditional Khmer dancing and did one of her favorite things--play basket ball at the arcade. It's been such a joy hanging out with her!

One of the signs of friendship here is holding hands and so I've been honored to have these friends clasp my hand while walking along together.

A year or two ago I would have had a very difficult time with this trip because I wouldn't have felt I was DOING enough. I would have felt completely useless and wondered what in the world I was doing here. However, I am truly loving just talking with people, getting to know them, sharing life, reading scripture together, and learning more about Cambodian culture. And all of this has just happened so naturally and is nothing I originally expected for Cambodia. Yes, I enjoy teaching English, but if I could just spend the rest of my time here with some of the students and others who I can now call my friends, I would be perfectly content.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post Lauren! It is great to hear about your time there and to see what God is doing in you!!

    ReplyDelete