Thursday, July 29, 2010

ALWAYS is neither CONDITIONAL nor OPTIONAL

"Rejoice ALWAYS, pray continually, give thanks in ALL circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus"
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
I was forcing myself to dwell on this verse last week when I was trapped in a cramped, stuffy, and filthy taxi, impatiently waiting for over an hour to leave the parking lot. Rejoicing was not my first instinct. I wasn't feeling particularly thankful. I wanted to sit there, all sweaty and sulky, just feeling sorry for myself. But this verse, this command, kept coming to mind. It doesn't say, "Rejoice when you're cruising along in your air-conditioned car, pray when you feel like it, and give thanks when life's just peachy keen." No it says, ALWAYS. I started with the prayer part because I knew thankfulness and joy were not going to come of their own accord and there was a significant shift in my disposition by the time we arrived in the village.

I am slowly learning to put my life into perspective. The things I am often quick to complain about are so petty; and in light of what so many others actually struggle with on a daily basis, they are NOTHING. Ya, being squashed in that dilapidated van was not the most pleasant experience, but you know what?--it was merely an hour; it sure beat walking; and though it only costs around $1.00, being able to travel so freely is a luxury many in the village will never have.

A few days ago I also found myself getting so irritated when we lost electricity and internet. How ridiculous to be upset and grumble over this?! I just take so much for granted and have grown far too comfortable in it. First off, when I go to the village, no one there has electricity and I'm sure a computer is a rare sight for most. Secondly, when I came to Cambodia I didn't even expect to have these things myself, so how can I complain about losing them for such a short time?

I feel foolish like Jonah who becomes irate with God for taking away the shade which He had just provided Jonah with to shelter him in the scorching desert, rather than being thankful for the respite he had been given... (Jonah 4:4-10)

1 comment:

  1. This was so encouraging, Lauren. Thanks for sharing, I'm going to be meditating on this verse this week

    ReplyDelete