Monday, July 26, 2010

Meet Baby-G...

This is a completely pointless and arbitrary blog post that I am writing simply because I want to write something and I have many things I want to write about, but at the moment, I do not want to write about anything that I want to write about.

So instead I'll introduce Baby-G, the watch I have affectionately named according to its inscription along the top.


Upon arriving in Phnom Pehn, I realized, have previously become pathetically dependent on my cellphone, that I had forgotten to pack any other device that would both tell time and wake me up in the morning; so in the first day or two, I set out to rectify this situation. I bartered for this little gem in a shopping mall (yes, I said bartered. Haggling here is not restricted to the market or hailing tuk tuks).
However, it has been nothing but an annoyance all summer as the stubborn thing refuses to serve its only purpose in life. It will not keep time. Instead it arbitrarily gains a few minutes each day. Mind you this is done with no regularity, so it is not even as if I can predict the time based on how many hours its been since I last reset it. One might think that a clock that runs fast on its own accord could be good (especially for me) as it would keep you on you toes and prevent you from being late. However, when you are in a country where time is completely relative, there is absolutely no value in punctuality...

No comments:

Post a Comment