Monday, August 2, 2010

The First of Many Lasts

It's hard to believe that I'll be heading back to the US in just a few short days. I also never expected how SAD I would be to leave this country, especially the wonderful people I've met here!
This morning I said my last goodbyes to two of our team members who were heading out to one of the provinces for the week and will not be back to Phnom Penh until after I've already boarded the plane home.

Today was my last day at Morning Star Center. For the past two weeks I have been working with some of the teen girls, teaching them how to make jewelry. (The few computers they have are quickly biting the dust and now they're down to one. So instead of having both Tigor and I working with the same student, I was asked to do this and definitely didn't complain as this is something I'm MUCH more interested in and skilled with) Though I'm sure the girls would love to keep the treasures they make, they've chosen to donate all of the items to a small street bazaar that the center will hold come September in order to raise funds to help support some of their peers to go to school, pay for supplies, and to put towards other activities. It was fun working with them and, as seems to be a trend, learning how to explain things without words. The girls were so excited to see what they had made, as was evidenced by the way they modeled the jewelry and complimented one another with "sa-at" (beautiful!). It was amazing too to see their creativity and the way they took to teaching one another.

.
In addition to teaching the kids some new games and learning some myself, I also had a chance to help Ay Ling, the director, write up the story of how Morning Star began and it was amazing to hear of God's faithfulness and complete provision throughout all of it.

They didn't realize until I arrived that it was my last day; yet before I left, the teens gathered around to thank me, pray for me, and give me sweet letters they had written and little gifts of their own things. I was only there once a week and so don't feel like I really got to know them that well, but they were so grateful. Honestly, their stories and the evidence of their tremendous faith has been more of an encouragement to me than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment