Sunday, August 8, 2010

Back

After nearly a day on a plane, I managed to make it back to the US safe and sound with miraculously no complications whatsoever!

However, though I've barely been home for 24 hours, the transition has been uncomfortably easy so far. Where is the reverse culture shock and extreme jet lag that I fully expected and have experienced many times before? I'm not complaining I guess; but it's just strange to be sitting here, plucking away on my computer, as if I never even left.

Granted I have been (pleasantly and gratefully!) shocked by some things--- being able to simply turn on the faucet and DRINK whenever I'm thirsty, the lack of oncoming traffic in the right hand lane and not having to fear for my life every time I cross the street (though apparently I do need to be more conscious & cautious of the T...), discovering toilet paper in public restrooms, sleeping in a bed and not waking up in a puddle of sweat, hearing so much English spoken around me, and other small things.

Yet Cambodia already seems so far away and removed from life here. There is no point of reference from which to share about it with others. It just feels so distant-- like a whole other life and world. Perhaps it's because, in my short time home, I've already traversed half the state of MA and beyond, have immediately become caught up in everything here, and haven't had a chance to rest. However, today, upon my first sip of the iced coffee I pulled over for, I was instantly struck with the reality that the $2.00 I easily shelled out for this could have bought dinner for an entire family in Cambodia. My hope and prayer is, as I continue to settle in and continue to process, that Cambodia wouldn't become just "an amazing summer trip" or a "great experience," for though it surely was both, I want it to have a lasting impact on myself and others. I'm just not sure what this is going to look like yet...

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're home safely, Lauren! It's been great keeping up with you on your blog here.

    And hold onto the Cambodia memories as long as you can, and use them to spur you on to greater things here, and abroad if God so chooses. :-)

    ReplyDelete