Sunday, June 20, 2010

To Market, to Market

The intoxicating smell of incense, raw meat, and overripe fruit overwhelmed us as we tried to squeeze through the narrow isles of the market. I really need to broaden my Khmer as all I could do was politely shake my head no and try to remember "Aw kuhn" (thank you) as we passed by stand after stand with people hawking their bright and colorful wares. Perhaps by the end of our stay I'll be able to haggle just like the rest-- though I'm sure my appearance alone is guaranteed to add an extra few thousand riel to my price...


I was amazed at how much STUFF they could cram into a tiny stall and how many stalls they could jam into the market! It was also interesting the way similar items were grouped together as we'd pass by what seemed like identical stands selling scarves and bags, then rows of fresh fruit, then jewelry, electronics, etc.

One of our most interesting finds was a stand of fried insects:


Alex, after downing a fried cricket, moved on to sample the tarantula
Then it was on to the next market!

2 comments:

  1. ooh yummy! Bring me back a fried cricket please, for real! I love trying weird foods:0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...will do! Perhaps I'll bring you back a medley of creatures! Think I can make it through customs? Maybe we can sample them simultaneously because I feel like I should at least try it, but I'm still having a hard enough time stomaching pigs, cows, and chickens: never mind insects...

    ReplyDelete